- 6 herring fillets in brine,
- 2 onions,
- a bunch of chives,
- 1 package of 18% cream,
- 1 bay leaf,
- white pepper,
- approximately 1 – 1.5 kg of potatoes,
1. Put the herrings in a bowl and pour cold water over them. Set aside for 10 - 15 minutes. If the herrings are very salty, hold them even for about 30 minutes.
2. Pour off the water, drain, and re-pour the water for another 10 minutes or so.
3. Cut the onion into feathers, and cut chives not too finely.
4. Drain the herrings and cut them into rings about 1. 5 - 2 cm wide.
6. Put sliced herring, onion, and cream into a bowl. Season with pepper and add bay leaf.
7. Mix everything well and set it aside for about 2 hours at room temperature.
8. Wash the potatoes thoroughly, pour in cold water, season with salt, and cook until soft. Potatoes cooked like that are called pulki.
9. Serve the herrings with pulki.
Source: Poland Daily 24