As the zucchini season has begun, it would be a sin not to eat it. A perfect pairing for fresh zucchini can be traditional Polish potato pancakes. Such a combination along with homemade garlic sauce is luscious and mouthwatering!
We decided to make delicious potato pancakes with zucchini straight from our garden. Zucchini makes the pancakes succulent and light in flavour. The recipe is really simple, and the results are delicious.
Potato pancakes with zucchini
- 1kg/ 35 oz of potatoes
- 1kg/ 35 oz zucchini
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons of wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons of potato flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. Peel and grate the potatoes.
2. Wash zucchini and cut off the ends. If the skin is tender (the vegetables are young) you don’t need to peel them. Grate them into the same bowl as the potatoes.
3. Pour off the excess water collected in the bowl.
4. Add all the ingredients to the bowl with potatoes and zucchini – both flours, eggs and salt. Mix the whole mixture well.
5. Heat a frying pan.
6. Add a tablespoon of oil and spread it over the pan.
7. Apply full portions with a spoon and flatten them slightly.
8. After about 3-4 minutes, flip the pancakes to the other side (remember to adjust the frying time to your stove). They should be golden brown.
9. Put the pancakes on a plate lined with a paper towel to let the paper absorb excess fat.
Homemade garlic sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 500 ml/ 17 fl oz of natural yoghurt
- 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of herbal pepper
1. Peel fresh garlic cloves and squeeze them through a press.
2. Add natural yoghurt to the bowl with the garlic.
3. Add salt and stir the whole thing.
4. Set the bowl with the sauce aside for a few minutes so that the garlic can soak into the yoghurt.
5. Add five tablespoons of good-quality mayonnaise.
6. Add a pinch of pepper and mix thoroughly.
Such a garlic sauce is medium hot. If you would like a milder sauce, add a maximum of 2 cloves of garlic, and if you would like a spicy one, add about 6 cloves of garlic.
Serve perfectly fried zucchini potato pancakes with your homemade garlic sauce. Perfect for a light but filling meal.