back to top

    “Silent killer” detector

    Unfortunately, tragedies that are caused by carbon monoxide poisoning occur every year. Since the heating season has already started and will last for several months, and during this time there is the greatest danger, it is worth knowing the key rules that will increase our safety.

    In late fall, and especially during the winter months, we turn on heaters, fireplaces, and other appliances to keep us warm because of the cold temperatures. Sometimes, however, they become a deadly trap, because when used incorrectly, damaged, or improperly maintained, they expose people to great danger. All the more so if there are blocked ventilation grilles or obstructed flues in houses and flats.

     

    “Each year there are tens of thousands of fires in our homes and apartments and several thousand incidents where carbon monoxide is emitted. Our home is the place where each of us feels safest,” explains the National Fire Service Headquarters.

     

    Carbon monoxide, which is often called the “silent killer”, deceives our senses. It is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non-irritating, and most important, it is undetectable.

     

    According to firefighters, the main source of poisoning in residential buildings is faulty flues. Their malfunction may be due to leaks, lack of maintenance, cleaning, design defects, or failure of the existing ventilation system to meet the airtightness standards of the windows and doors used. 

     

    That’s why working carbon monoxide detectors are so important. A small device, but it can save lives.

    Tags:

    More in section

    2,222FansLike
    359FollowersFollow
    1,164FollowersFollow