Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Discover various ways to use rowan in Polish cuisine, including recipes for jam, compote, and an aromatic sauce. Learn about the health benefits of rowan and how to enjoy the taste of this Polish superfood.
Rowan in the Kitchen: Recipes and Ideas for Using this Polish Superfood
Rowan, also known as the “red gem of Polish autumn,” is a fruit that can be found in Polish forests and gardens during the fall. It’s not just a beautiful element of the landscape, but also a true superfood rich in vitamin C and other valuable nutrients. In this article, we will explore various ways to use rowan in the kitchen, including recipes for jam, compote, and an aromatic sauce that will liven up your culinary experiences.
- 1 kg of rowan
- 500 g of sugar
- 250 ml of water
- Place the rowan in a pot with water and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes until the fruits soften.
- Then strain the rowan through a sieve to remove the seeds and skins.
- Pour the strained fruits back into the pot, add sugar, and simmer on low heat for about 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently until the jam thickens.
- Pour the hot jam into jars and seal them. The jam can be stored in a cool place.
- 500 g of rowan
- 1 liter of water
- 100 g of sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Place the rowan in a pot, add water, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Optionally, you can add lemon zest and juice for extra flavor.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20-30 minutes.
- The compote is ready when the fruits soften, and the beverage becomes intensely flavorful.
- Strain the compote and serve it cold or hot.
- 250 g of rowan
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in butter until it becomes soft.
- Add sugar and caramelize the onion.
- Then add rowan and water, simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Rowan sauce can be served with meat, especially game meat.
Rowan not only adds flavor to dishes but is also beneficial for your health due to its abundance of vitamin C and antioxidants. Try these recipes and enjoy the taste of this unique fruit in various forms. Rowan is a true treasure of Polish cuisine that’s worth exploring.