back to top

    The PM36 Steam Locomotive – a symbol of Polish railways

    The PM36 steam locomotive, also known as “Pmko,” is one of the most recognizable Polish locomotives that served for many years to transport heavy loads.

    It was designed in the 1930s by the German company Henschel and Son in Kassel, and the first specimens appeared in Poland in 1937.

    The distinctive shape of the PM36 locomotive is the result of the use of the “crosshead” technology, which enabled the transport of heavy loads and the climbing of steep hills. All 95 PM36 locomotives were produced in Poland between 1937 and 1944 by Cegielski in Poznań and Fablok in Chrzanów.

    The PM36 steam locomotive was a durable machine that could transport 1000 tons of cargo over a distance of 1000 km. The locomotive reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h, which was an impressive achievement at the time. During World War II, PM36 steam locomotives were used by German occupation forces, and after the war, they were taken over by Polish State Railways.

    The PM36 steam locomotive is an icon of Polish railways and a symbol of hard work that enabled the transportation of goods and the development of the economy for many years. Although today steam locomotives have been replaced by more modern locomotives, they still represent an important element of technological heritage and are a source of fascination for many railway enthusiasts.

    More in section

    2,222FansLike
    359FollowersFollow
    1,164FollowersFollow