CWS cars did not survive to our times. Most were lost during the II World War. Few copies were seen in the 1950s. Unfortunately, during the Stalinist times, no one dared to preserve this symbol of Polish, pre-war technical thought. It was the only motor car that could be completely dismantled and put together again with one tool since all its screws and bolts had the same diameter.
Shortly after Poland regained independence, the first Polish cars were created. They were created by Polish engineers and employees of the Polish state-owned company CWS (Centralne Warsztaty Samochodowe, later Państwowe Zakłady Inżynieryjne). It is remarkable, both from the point of time and history, that the most modern, beautiful, luxurious and entirely Polish construction passenger cars were designed and produced as early as the 1920s. Despite its achievements, it was decided to purchase licenses. This was the case both before and after the Second World War, during the communist era of the People’s Republic of Poland.
The car was equipped with an overhead valve engine, which was a novelty at that time. For comparison, the Warsaw M-20, which rolled off the assembly line from 1951, still had a bottom valve engine, although it was considered an obsolete solution even then. The entire CWS car could be dismantled with one flat wrench and screwdriver. It was an unusual design solution, not only for those times. The three-litre engine had 45 HP at 2,500 RPM, and in the prototypes, 61 HP at 3,000 RPM. The vehicle consumed as much as 14-18 litres of gasoline and up to 2 litres of oil per 100 km.