Białowieża National Park is one of the 23 national parks in Poland. The beginning of the Park started in 1921 when there was the Forest Reserve. Later in 1932, the Reserve was transformed into National Park in Białowieża. Finally, in 1947 the name was changed and it functions under the same name until today – Białowieża National Park.
The Park is situated in the northeast part of Poland in Podlaskie Voivodeship. It covers the area of 10 517, 27 ha. This National Park protects the best-preserved fragment of Białowieża Forest the last natural forest in the European Lowland Area. That fragment has the primeval character, identical to the one which covered the area of deciduous and coniferous forests years ago.
Additional attractions in and around the Park:
– hiking trails (total approx. 44 km)
– European bison reserve near the road Hajnówka – Białowieża
– Museum of Nature and Forestry in Białowieza
– Palace Park in Białowieża
– Hwoźna Protective District
– Reserve Conservation Area – the most valuable nature object of the park
– Bison refuges
Białowieża National Park is the only Polish natural property designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The Park is the most important – central zone of Białowieża Forest Biosphere Reserve.
Click here and read more about the Białowieża National Park