back to top

    Museum of Warsaw

    A museum in the Old Town Market Place in Warsaw, established in 1936 – the Museum of Warsaw. You can find there many exhibits of archaeology, painting, graphic arts, iconography, sculpture, artistic crafts, numismatics, and architectural drawings.

    The Museum was established in 1936 as a branch of the National Museum, which at that time belonged to the city, under the name of the Museum of Old Warsaw. The museum seat and a large part of the collections were destroyed in 1944 during the Warsaw Uprising, the subsequent thefts, and as a result of dampness in the old town cellars. After the war, by the decision of the City Council, the museum was reactivated in 1948 under the name of the Historical Museum of Warsaw. It was reopened on January 17, 1955.

     

    On the official website of the Museum, we can read: 

     

    “The Museum of Warsaw collects the things of Warsaw, researches them, and makes them available to the public. The new core exhibition refers to the histories of particular objects in order to tell about historical events and people who had made an impact on the shape and character of contemporary Warsaw”

     

    The Museum of Warsaw has 8 branches: 

    – The Praga Museum of Warsaw,

    – The Wola Museum of Warsaw,

    – The Museum of Pharmacy,

    – The Museum of Printing,

    – The Heritage Interpretation Centre,

    – Korczakianum,

    – Palmiry Museum – Memorial Site,

    – The Museum of Field Ordinance.

     

    The Museum is open from Thursday to Sunday between 11:00 AM and 8:00 PM. For more information click here

    Tags:

    More in section

    2,221FansLike
    358FollowersFollow
    1,071FollowersFollow